04 March, 2011

REVIEW: My hand cream stash

Being a middle-aged nail polish fanatic I try to take care of my hands to minimise wear and tear from housework, the elements, and inevitably aging.  I'm also allergic to a lot of things and can get pretty bad eczema outbreaks on my hands from time to time...How depressing!

I have a number of tubes of hand cream in my arsenal to keep my hands from getting too dry and sensitive and I'm always on the lookout for new and better ones to try.  I don't discriminate based on price, so it doesn't matter if a product costs $2 or $50 as long as it works for me - very often it's those $2 tubes that are the real stars for me!  At the moment I have one tube on my bedside table and two in my handbag that I'm running with.  So here's a brief review of what I think of them.


High End:
  L'Occitane Dry Skin Hand Cream

This is made in France and is luxury in a paint tube.  It's quite a thick cream, with 20% shea butter so it's rich and a little goes a long way.  It absorbs really well and feels as smooth as silk on my hands. The thing that absolutely seduces me about this cream is its divine fragrance.  I'm kicking myself that I can't exactly describe the scent, but it's really soft and feminine.  The downside about this hand cream is the price.  This tiny 30ml/1oz tube cost me $16.95AUD!  It's my indulgence.


Mid Range:
  Natio Spa Heavenly Hand Cream

This 90g/3.8oz hand cream cost me under $10 so it's good value, but I don't love this one.  According to the back of the tube this has..."Certified organic and avurvedic plant extracts to help soften hands and strengthen nails.  Helps reduce pigmentation and age spots..."  Despite all that I still don't love it and after initially trying it I ignored it for a while on the bedside table.  The texture is lighter than the L'Occitane hand cream and the absorption and moisturising properties are good enough, but for me it's the fragrance that lets this one down.  It has a really strong grassy herbal scent that really doesn't appeal to me.  It's purely my personal preference and this one is not for me.


Bargain Basement:
  Redwin Sorbolene Moisturiser

This tube is my little workhorse and the product I turn to when my skin's in trouble as it is for sensitive skin.  The formula contains glycerin and vitamin E, is richly moisturising and absorbs well.  The only fragrance is a very subtle glycerin scent.  I love this because it heals my dry and cracked skin when I have eczema, and it only costs less than $4AUD for a 100g/3.52oz tube!  This means I can apply it as frequently as I like without feeling like I'm pouring money down the drain.  No frills but it's one of my favourites and something I always return to. 

  • L'Occitane Dry Skin Hand Cream is available at Myer and David Jones stores throughout Australia, and L'Occitane stores internationally. 
  • Natio is an Australian brand and is available at Myer and pharmacies.  See their website here.
  • Redwin is available at Priceline stores and pharmacies throughout Australia.

As I mentioned I'm always on the hunt for new and better hand creams so expect more reviews!

That's all for now.

Vita :)

3 comments:

  1. I've tried the L'Occitane, it's really nice, and rich, but it can be greasy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, that's why I only use a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a coincidence, right now I'm also using L'Occitane and because my hand are really dry it fits me perfectly and it is not greasy on me

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...