28 December, 2011

REVIEW: Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch highlighting concealer

Long time, no review.  Just another sign I've been busy I guess.

You may recall I did a comparison post on concealer pens here. While I decided at the time I'd found the best value for money product in L'Oreal's Touche Magique, I now have a new find to share, just a little more affordable, and perhaps the best of the bunch so far...

Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch highlighting concealer


Although I liked the coverage and wear of L'Oreal's Touche Magique, by the time I'd finished it I decided not to buy another because of a little problem with the brush.  As the bristles were so stiff they ended up getting badly bent and misshapen from replacing the cap, making it difficult to apply the product precisely.  Looks pretty nasty, doesn't it:


While browsing the 'net for an alternative illuminating concealer to try,  I found the Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch highlighting concealer recommended by Beautyheaven  as a budget product so it piqued my curiosity.

Now the packaging of these two products is suspiciously similar (see below) and they both work the same way, dispensing the concealer into the brush by twisting the end of the pen.  I haven't done my research into this, so does anyone know if there's a connection between L'Oreal and Maybelline?

Top to bottom:  Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch
 L'Oreal Touche Magique

The difference between these two is Maybelline's brush is noticeably softer on my skin and more pliable than  L'Oreal's.  After one month of use it's still in a tidy condition with only a few hairs out of place:

The product itself is a similar quality creamy opaque concealer/illuminator to L'Oreal and it effectively blends over my under-eye circles (read raccoon eyes) to conceal and reflect light, making me look refreshed.  It lasts all day on my skin, and doesn't creep into my lines, so I don't need to touch it up at all.  Best of all this product is only $17.95AUD, significantly cheaper than $27AUD for L'Oreal's almost identical product.

Swatched & blended:


Pros:
 -opaque consistency that blends well
-effectively conceals undereye circles because of the illuminating properties
-covers minor blemishes
-does not crease or need touching up
-great value at $17.95AUD and is the same quality as higher priced alternative products
-convenient brush applicator

Cons: 
-may need extra help to cover major blemishes
-only 3 shades to choose from

Would I buy this again?
Yes I will - unless there's something else you want me to try!

Until next time.

Vita :)

9 comments:

  1. somehow i've never seen this on maybelline stand, i have to look harder :) doesn't creep into lines and effectively conceals undereye circles, 2 good points to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never noticed this product either but I really like the Dream range from Maybelline. I love the mousse concealer and now I definitely want to try this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @prettymom - I like the value for money with this product. It is hidden low down on the Maybelline stand so you really need to know what you're looking for!

    @Chloeblue - Great to hear positive feedback about Maybelline. I'm becoming a bit of a fan lately myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybelline is owned by the L'Oreal group, which would explain the identical packaging :) looks like a great concealer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @SilhouetteScreams - Aha!! Thanks, that explains another product Maybelline have launched which is scarily similar to L'Oreal. I'm going to vote with my wallet and go for the more affordable - ie Maybelline - product then!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the review! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure why, but I find that Maybelline concealers (this and the 24hr superstay one) are always kinda chalky, making it look unnatural against my skin. And this particular concealer in 02 Nude makes my undereye area look greyish. I've heard that pink-toned concealers can make undereye circles look grey, but I thought this seemed to be more of a yellow-toned one. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so strange: As a natural redhead (auburn-blondish copper), I've got an extremely pale skin but with absolutely no rosy undertones (a warm white skin, cream coloured) and no freckles. It brings out the undertones of makeup products really starkly and I must say the shade NUDE is definitely peach-yellowish, not pinkish (cool pink).
      The colour nude will work better on purplish eye circle though: maybe you have darkly pigmented or blue undereye circles and it doesn't work as well for you...

      Delete
  8. Just so you know, If that thing happens again with the bristles of a product, use these clear elastic bands http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-X33oCg6YFLE/TvqJJZIFRPI/AAAAAAAABYs/-_6uRnKowIQ/s1600/100_2888%2BPBR.jpg to pack them again and then put the cap on. It works like a charm every single time.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...