21 August, 2012

REVIEW: Tom Ford Eye Color Quad - Silvered Topaz

I'll make this a balanced review but of course I was initially quite excited about finally getting this TF palette off my wishlist and into my possession....

Let's get the gratuitous packaging shots out of the way first.  Now there's pretty packaging and there's sleek packaging - this is definitely in the latter category.  I guess you'd expect nothing less of anything associated with the sleek and tasteful Mr Ford.  The palette is encased in a very simple mahogany package with the only sign of opulence being the stamped gold lip at the opening end.  I suppose another sign this is one serious palette is its size and weight.  Considering it's a quad this compact is hardly compact as it is about the same size and weight of my smartphone!  Another interesting feature is the magnetic fastening which is also a nice subtly classy touch.  Of course this rather large compact also includes a rather large mirror stamped with 'Tom Ford' at its base.



Included in the palette are two applicators, and while handy for traveling, I've become accustomed to using my own brushes so it's likely these babies are going to stay in their pristine condition.


According to official Tom Ford website the eye color quads are, "...the centerpiece of the Tom Ford color collection. Each Eye Color Quad is designed with four opulent complementing shades that achieve multiple looks, from a bold, smokey eye, to a sexy slash of color and everything in between. Formulated with advanced color processes, the four luxurious finishes—sheer sparkle, satin, shimmer and matte—offer a spectrum of intensity and effects and deliver incredible shade fidelity and outstanding adhesion."

Silvered Topaz
While my purple biased eye was initially drawn to Crushed Amethyst I chose Silvered Topaz as a cool toned neutral palette I could get more mileage from.  Clockwise from top left the shades are a sparkly champagne beige,  satin green/grey, matte cocoa brown and shimmery taupe. 
 


The sales assistant assured me that each of the colour pans are quite deep and contain around 2.5g of product so this should last a while.  In terms of price these quads are a very steep $100AUD but put into context with another luxe brand this equates to a $2 difference to the equivalent Chanel product as Chanel quads currently retail at $98AUD.  Yes, yes, it's still expensive whichever way you look at it...

So, does it live up to claims about pigmentation?  In most cases yes as shown by the swatches below.  I swatched these with a brush onto bare skin and was quite impressed with how three out of four of them performed, however the sparkle shade did take a bit of layering to build up the coverage.  These are great colours if you're after a cool neutral combo and I like the variety of finishes which makes this suitable for day or night looks.

Swatched L - R:
 Sparkly champagne beige, Satin grey, Shimmer taupe, Matte cocoa

I've used the quad only once so far, and wore all colours for an evening smokey eye look.  I was impressed at the overall intensity and the shadows wore all evening without any creasing.  The only issue I had (and I'll admit to a little disappointment) was some minor fallout of the sparkle shade which I'd used as an inner eye highlight.  
 
Overall, I have to admit that while I'm very happy with my first TF palette and don't regret buying it after lusting after it for so many months, I'm not hysterically, over the moon ecstatic.  I have more of an 'ooh nice' feeling about it rather than 'oh WOW!'  Perhaps it's more understated than I was expecting?  Perhaps I'd built it up in my mind that it had to be perfect?  For such an expensive makeup item I guess I was expecting a little more of the magic beyond the sleek packaging itself - like it was made from the teardrops of a Tibetan Yak, or included diamond dust and the finish would be far, far superior to anything else in my collection...
 
As I've said these are my early thoughts and I will post an EOTD when I have another play with this palette.  

What's your most expensive beauty purchase and how did it make you feel?

Until next time

Vita :)

14 comments:

  1. the packaging is to die for .. so luxe :).. the colors are also pretty ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha you crack me up, Vita. That poor Tibetan Yak! Who's making it cry?

    It does look lovely and some things just make you feel happy, even if they themselves aren't perfect in every way. Just like people, I guess ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I was feeling pangs of guilt over spending the money - although the spending $$ was a gift from my Dad!

      Delete
  3. That looks so gorgeous!!! TF does beautiful packaging. It's almost too beautiful to use ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely - I know I have problems getting started on the Tom Ford lippies because of that darn TF stamp right at the top of the bullet. I don't want to spoil it but of course I have to. I particularly love wearing the lipsticks because they're so creamy!

      Delete
  4. LOL at Tibetan Yak and diamond dust! But at AUD$100 it's what I would expect, or at least something similar haha. Not too sure about the price tag, but this is a lovely palette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely Stacey :) I guess I was looking for a justification for the price tag other than the fact it's a designer item. Perhaps that's justification in itself!

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful palette. The sparkly champagne shade in particular look's fantastic.

    My most expensive beauty purchase was a jar of La Mer. I felt so special using it for the first few weeks, then felt like crying when I realised my skin had looked much better when I was using a $10 Nivea moisturiser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Nivea's better than La Mer?? I feel great about using my drugstore skincare then, lol! After all the guilt about it I DO love this palette and all the colours are lovely - just saw a MAC palette today retailing at $115 and I only really want one of the colours. I'd be crying over that!

      Delete
  6. The shades are gorgeous! I'm not even sure that we get TF makeup in Canada and am pretty sure that it would cost much more than $2 than Chanel quads if they were available here. All things considered, I don't think any makeup should be that expensive and we pay more for the name and packaging than quality, but it shouldn't deter you from enjoying it. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know just what to say Liz! There's always that need to justify expensive items as being special, and I was feeling that I had to be a responsible blogger, not just gushing over something for the sake of it!

      Delete
  7. I think my most expensive makeup item was the first Naked palette. Which I must say, I wasn't hugely impressed with..no OOOHS or AHHS it was just.. meh. So I can completely relate with what you're saying, but the colors are nice in both the palette above, and the Naked palette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see you share my point of view. Sometimes it's more about the excitement and anticipation of 'wanting', then there's the slight letdown with 'having' when it's not quite as magical as you've built it up to be :-/

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...