10 September, 2012

REVIEW: theBalm Sexy Mama anti-shine, translucent powder

I've been using theBalm's Sexy Mama translucent powder for the past month so I wanted to share my thoughts with you.

So the backstory goes:  I'd just finished my Nyx Twin Cake pressed powder and needed a replacement, saw theBalm doing an impressive gift with purchase to the exact value of their Sexy Mama anti-shine translucent powder, figured the timing was right *cue the spooky music, align the planets*, and decided to try it out!...


Sexy Mama powder is housed in a cute but quite sturdy cardboard compact - and I just love the cheeky artwork!  It has the added protection of an outer sleeve to keep the magnetised compact securely closed, and the compact is, well, compact - as a matter of fact the exact size of a credit card - and lightweight so it's perfectly sized for the slimmest of makeup purses, and obviously a perfect choice for travel.

Once you open it up you see a decent sized powder pan containing just over 7 grams of product and also a good sized mirror mounted in the lid:


I've also snapped a pic of the ingredients list on the back of the package for those who are interested.  And for those who are interested in what this powder doesn't contain, it doesn't contain talc:


So, what do I like about the product itself?    The powder is sheer enough to be a natural, one size fits all deal and it effectively mattifies without masking my natural complexion or looking cakey and doesn't oxidise on my skin.  Of course the pressed powder formula is mess-free, however it does take a bit of vigorous brush swirling to pick up what seems like a decent amount of product - hard to tell because it's so sheer!   It doesn't surprise me at all theBalm claims this powder to be "virtually invisible".

There's one particularly annoying thing I don't like. Take a look at the finish of the pan in the foreground where I've swiped over the powder.  It's grainy! I've never encountered this with a powder before and perhaps I'm being a tad fussy but this is a minus for me personally.  I can't comment on the manufacturing but I'm speculating perhaps this isn't as finely milled as products I've used in the past...

Pros:
  • Compact, travel friendly packaging
  • Cardboard packaging is surprisingly sturdy as well as lightweight
  • Powder is sheer enough to be suitable for most skintones
  • Effectively mattifies skin without being cakey or looking powdered
  • Provides invisible coverage
  • Talc-free formula
  • Reasonably priced at $27.95AUD

Cons:
  • It takes a bit of effort to pick up sufficient product on a brush
  • Powder appears a bit grainy in the pan

Would I repurchase?
At this point I must admit to being a bit conflicted in my opinion, and despite the large number of positives I prefer my powder to be more finely milled so I don't see myself repurchasing.  Of course I'll let you know exactly how I feel when I finish the pan.


What do you think of theBalm?

 Vita :)

12 comments:

  1. I've noticed that grainy thing happening with some of my eye shadows. Weird, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird yeah, I don't know if I'm just fussy but I'm not used to seeing this in a powder!

      Delete
  2. Oh wait.. i thought it was grainy as you had already used it. You mean it was grainy brand new?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You read it right the first time. I'd used it for a few weeks and noticed grainy lumps. It obviously doesn't affect the performance of the powder but I'm a bit concerned it may not be a finely milled as it could be - or I might have to scrape the pan to get out the product!

      Delete
  3. I bought this on Ozsale and am waiting for it to arrive- it sounds like a good fit for me, the grains seem strange but I don't think they are a deal breaker for me. I love the compact size of this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tiny size is a bonus :) I'm still using this powder and will continue until I finish the pan because it performs well. I admit it - I'm a fusspot sometimes and the grainy finish is just a distraction!

      Delete
  4. I have yet to try theBalm, though I've always found their packaging really cute! But I'm not sure about this powder, not a fan of grainy textures either lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend of mine thinks it could be because of the corn starch. I don't know. It's pretty weird but harmless I guess. I do have one of their Balmbini palettes I've yet to try which was the GWP for buying this powder. I'll see how that goes!

      Delete
  5. I love theBalm in general but this one never appealed to me. Guess I prefer my powders in a sturdier compact form rather than a square paper magnetic case. Not sure about the grainy thing but that is really too bad. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The packaging's actually pretty sturdy! As I commented to Stacey above, someone told me the graininess could be as simple as the corn starch in the powder? Ah well, I will keep using it because other than that it's actually an okay product - just annoys me *Grrrr!*

      Delete
  6. I'm thinking about buying it but I'm only 13, do you think it would be a good idea? Plus I have to use my own money and it's $30 in Singapore! I'm not so sure now, any advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want coverage as well as blotting the shine then it's probably not the product for you. However if it's just to control shine I think it's a reasonable product because it's colourless and you don't end up looking 'made up'. I do find I need to reapply around midday but after months of wearing this continuously day after day I've still not finished it! In terms of price I think you're getting the same deal as me. I hope this helps!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...