22 March, 2015

Review: Rimmel Apocalips Lip Velvet Matte Liquid Lip Colours

As I have a self-confessed craze for matte lips at the moment I was pleased to have a few of Rimmel's Apocalips Lip Velvet Mattes come my way for review.  I'm growing quite a little collection of liquid matte lipsticks and as we head into the cooler months down here I've been leaning that way more and more especially as I favour a clean-edged highly pigmented lip look in winter.
 
So what do Rimmel promise with their Apocalips Lip Velvet lippies?
 
• Weightless liquid colour with a velvety smooth finish
• Earth-shattering intense colour stays true for up to 8 hours
• Moisturizing formula instantly increases lip moisture by 31%*
 

I received 3 of the 4 shades in the range for review.  From left to right above and swatched below these are:  Atomic Rose, Meteoric Matte, and Burning Lava:

 
I agree with the weightless, velvety smooth finish colour claims as these shades all apply smoothly in a single coat and sit very comfortably on my lips.  There's that slightly velvety feel but no dryness and I'd almost have to check in the mirror to see the colour's still on.  There is no patchiness on application so one dip of the doe-foot wand is enough to coat the lips with 100% opaque colour.
 
The colours didn't quite last the claimed 8 hours as they do start to fade on the inside of my lips due to doing the usual things like drinking coffee etc. (and some do this more obviously than others) so I would reapply after about 4 to 5 hours to touch up where the colour needed refreshing.  Still, I didn't experience any caking or build up on reapplication so that wasn't a deal breaker at all. 
 
With regards to moisture, while these lip colours look matte they actually don't dry down 100% so they don't dry out my lips either and I can wear them on consecutive days without feeling like they're sucking the life out of my them!
 
There's another issue I want to address and that is the smell/taste.  I've been asked by several of you out there in social media land as to whether these smell as weird as the original Apocalips lip colours and after comparing I find these new Lip Velvets are slightly sweet scented and have no discernible taste although I'd still suggest you swatch in store if you are sensitive to scented lip products. 
 
And now for some lip swatches and my thoughts on the individual shades. 

Atomic Rose
 The least favourite shade for me.  I found it looked a little aging and the colour actually faded to a strange whitish peach on the inside of my lips.

Meteoric Matte

This beautiful blue red is going to be my favourite this winter and I love how smooth it looks on my lips. 
 
Burning Lava
 A true red and another flatteringly smooth lip colour.  I suppose this is my 'other' favourite.
 
 
**************************************
 
Overall I'm giving these lip colours a big thumbs up for long-lasting, non-drying lip colour. 
 
Rimmel Apocalips Lip Velvet Matte Liquid lip colours sell for $15.95AUD and are available at: 
Priceline, Priceline Pharmacy, Big W, Woolworths, Coles, Chemist Warehouse, My Chemist,
Target and Kmart and various Independent Pharmacies.
 
 
(This product was provided for my consideration.  All comments and opinions are my own.)

6 comments:

  1. I actually think Atomic Rose looks so beautiful and harmonious on you! I was a little confused as to why Rimmel would put out two liquid lip ranges at once but they do sound quite different in how they feel on the lips. And I agree, these sort of products are perfect for cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! I agree the colour itself is flattering but I found the finish itself seemed to make the wrinkles in my lips more apparent for whatever reason - so good in theory but not in execution on me anyway. Yes these are very different for me to the Provocalips Kiss Proof lippies in that these are a matte finish without the drying matte feel and they're not intended to be transfer proof so they'll fade a lot faster than Provocalips.

      Delete
  2. I love these colours on you, I'm hoping to pick at least one up at the priceline sale tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa and happy shopping! I need to check out the 4th shade and see if I should complete my collection too! ;)

      Delete
  3. Wow! You look stunning in Meteoric Matte and Burning Lava! Good to know these don't dry out your lips like most liquid lippies do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristen! Yes these aren't drying because they don't dry down completely - I've been wearing both of those shades a lot lately too, especially as I'm participating in the 'Red My Lips' campaign and wearing red lips every day in April.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...