16 May, 2015

Review: Rimmel Lasting Finish 25HR Powder Foundation

Being the time poor person I am, most mornings I'll reach for a powder base over a cream or liquid because it's quick, easy to blend and pretty much undetectable.  Naturally that makes me a good candidate to try out Rimmel's new 25HR Powder Foundation, the latest offering in their Lasting Finish range. There are raves out there in the blogosphere already so I was ready to love this product...

Rimmel says: "Get buildable coverage with this ultra lightweight dual wear powder, for continuous flawless skin. Rimmel’s dual finish wet and dry powder foundation applies like a powder but covers like a liquid allowing you to build your desired coverage. Apply dry for a light to medium finish, or wet for a full coverage look whilst remaining water resistant come rain or shine. The buildable and adjustable coverage masks all imperfections for a flawless finish that last up to 25 hours."


The packaging is typically youthful in keeping with Rimmel's image and quite compact considering it stores a sponge in a separate compartment as you can see in the picture below.  Hallelujah! What you can't see is there's also a mirror hiding in the sponge compartment which makes this very travel-friendly.


I use powder foundation as a faster alternative to liquid foundations so I wear it dry and buff it in with a brush and this is how I tried it initially as demonstrated in the pictures below.  

Before: Bare skin with all my redness and pigmentation on show

After: Lasting Finish 25HRPowder Foundation applied dry with a buffing brush. (Excuse the poorly matched under eye concealer!)

You can see how when applied dry Rimmel's Lasting Finish 25HR Powder Foundation offers medium coverage, toning down my redness and softening uneven pigmentation.  However...no matter what primer I applied this over, the coverage was nowhere near the promised 25 hours and would mostly vanish by the end of the day!

I thought I'd get a better and longer lasting finish when applying the foundation wet with the sponge, but that translated as merely more obviously powdery coverage that still managed to disappear from my skin before the end of the day.   After lots of trial and error I've found this product works best for me as a setting powder over a liquid product, to mattify and add a hint more coverage.


***************************

I'm really disappointed to have to say I don't get along with this product as a standalone base because I'm usually a big fan of  Rimmel's range and I'm a fan of powder and mineral powder foundations.  Perhaps it would work better on more youthful, naturally dewier skin?  

 Rimmel Lasting Finish 25HR Lasting Finish Powder Foundation is available in four shades and retails for $17.95 at the following stores: Priceline, Priceline Pharmacy, Target, Kmart, BIG W, Chemist Warehouse, selected pharmacies and selected Coles and Woolworths.


 (This  product was provided for my consideration.  All comments and opinions are my own.)

14 comments:

  1. I'm not surprised it didn't live up to the 25hr promise, I find it hard to believe a powder could last that long!

    It looked great in the photo with covering redness etc. but yeah I can see why it would just be better as a setting powder :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I found a way to make it work for me but I've tried other drugstore powders - particularly mineral powders - that last a lot better on my skin even without a primer.

      Delete
  2. I certainly did not expect this one to be lasting 25 hours.. that's just insane!
    A shame it didn't last long enough for a regular day at least though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 25 hours isn't practical but unfortunately it didn't seem to last half as long really.

      Delete
  3. Thats a shame it didn't last well as it looks like it provided good coverage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the coverage wasn't the issue because it looked quite nice and natural once applied but it's like the stuff just disappears after a while - I would highly recommend carrying it in the makeup bag for regular touchups!

      Delete
  4. I think drugstore foundations in the liquid range has improved significantly but I've yet to find a drugstore powder of any kind that merits a rave or even halfway positive review. Either the colours are off or the refined texture and lasting power are lacking. Thanks for the honest feedback!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the best drugstore powder foundations are mineral and they actually do go the distance! Other regular drugstore powder foundations or BB powders have been pretty much a miss for me too - with the exception of SilkyGirl but I have to wait to go back to Singapore for that! ;-)

      Delete
  5. Darn! Sorry this one didn't work out, but 25 HOURS?! I wish they'd be more realistic in their claims instead of shouting fantastical promises from the rooftops, lol! Who is even UP for 25 hours?! Maybe this one could switch hit as a setting powder over your favorite liquid foundation instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 25 hours is a lofty claim for anything really but it does get our attention! Lol

      I have used this as a setting powder and it works fine like that for me :)

      Delete
  6. LOL right? Who the hell is up for 25 hours straight. OR doesn't wash their face...eewww.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. That sort of claim is somewhat nuts!!!

      Delete
  7. I can't get any of the product on my face dry or wet!!!! The sponge has absorbed it a little, and I have even scraped my fingernail across it to loosen the so called powder but it just rolls off my face!! Worst product I have ever bought, rubbish!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This wasn't a winner for me either - I ended up using it as a setting powder :(

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...